Maxwelltown War Memorial, Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway, located at the junction of Rotchell Road, and New Abbey Road, Dumfries. Unveiled June 4th 1922. Sculptor Henry Price born in 1872 in Wrexham, Denbighshire. The memorial was commissioned by The burgh of Maxwelltown at a cost of £700. The base of the memorial is an obelisk of grey granite, on which is stands the highly unusual figure of a King’s Own Scottish Borderer, with outstretched arms. The imagery mirrors that of Christ suffering on the cross for the redemption of mankind.
This unusual memorial features Jack Judge sitting on a granite rock, studying the ‘Tipperary’ songsheet, whilst a First World War soldier leans over his shoulder and plays the song on his mouth organ. It is sited outside the newly renovated Stalybridge Town Hall, just a few hundred yards away from what was once the Grand Theatre. The statue was unveiled on December 16th 2005. Jack was appearing at the Grand Theatre, Stalybridge, near Manchester. One night, after a performance, a fellow artiste bet Jack he couldn’t write and perform a new song within 24 hours. The song was was allegedly written for a 5 shilling bet on 30th January 1912 and performed the next night at the local music hall. Judge’s parents were Irish, and his grandparents came from Tipperary. It became popular among soldiers in the First World War and is remembered as a song of that war. The Irish regiment the Connaught Rangers were witnessed singing this song as they marched through Boulogne on 13 August 1914 in the 1st World War by the Daily Mail correspondent George Curnock. This was then reported in that newspaper on 18 August 1914 and the songs popularity started to grow.
In November 1914 it was recorded by the well-known tenor John McCormack, which helped contribute to its worldwide popularity.
Stalybridge War Memorial, Tameside is located on the north side of Trinity Street where it meets Market Street. Sculpted by F.B. Blundstone a native of Stalybridge and unveiled November 6, 1921.
The memorial takes the form of a bridgehead, in the shape of eclipse, over the river tame at the entrance to Trinity Street. It comprises two pedestals, each 10ft high either side of Trinity Street. Each pedestal bears an 8ft high bronze figures.The original memorial measures 110ft from wing to wing. The wing walls are 5ft high and terminate at secondary pedestals topped by lions crouching. The names are carved on polished granite, and the base of a memorial is finished with a border of fluorite spar.
The pedestal bears the town coat of arms, in stone and, written on it is: 1914 1918. Jutland, Zeebrugge. The Falkland Isles. The inscription: Remember the love of them who came not home from the war. See you to it that they shall not have died in vain.
On the other side of Trinity Street is the army pedestal, topped by an angel ministering to a dying soldier. It too bears the coat of arms with 1914 1918, with Marne, Ypres, & Somme. The inscription: All you who pass by remember with gratitude the men of Stalybridge who died for you.
Ashton War Memorial is located in the memorial Gardens between Old Street, Crickets Lane and Mossley Road In Ashton-under-Lyne. The architect was Percy Howard ARIBA who was born in Ashton. The sculptor was J Ashton Floyd. General Sir Ian Hamilton unveiled the memorial on Saturday, 16 September 1922. The memorial is 35ft high and built from 50 tons of Portland stone. The crowning group comprising a wounded soldier figure and the winged figure of peace, is made of bronze and weighs two tons. The soldier, wounded and exhausted, holds a spray of laurels in his bandaged left hand. The winged figure of peace supports him, taking the sword of honour, which he holds. The soldier, having received the laurels of everlasting gratitude, hands over his sword, the symbol of justice, which the winged figure takes into her keeping. Around the base, the RAF is represented by a propeller and steering wheel, the Royal Navy by ropes and an anchor, and the army by trench mortars, riffles, swords, steel helmets and gas masks. There are two lions, one either side of the central column, each weighing two tons. They are on bases 6ft high and typify the British Empire. One is in combat with the serpent of evil, while the other has crushed the serpent and is triumphant.