Ashton War Memorial is located in the memorial Gardens between Old Street, Crickets Lane and Mossley Road In Ashton-under-Lyne. The architect was Percy Howard ARIBA who was born in Ashton. The sculptor was J Ashton Floyd. General Sir Ian Hamilton unveiled the memorial on Saturday, 16 September 1922. The memorial is 35ft high and built from 50 tons of Portland stone. The crowning group comprising a wounded soldier figure and the winged figure of peace, is made of bronze and weighs two tons. The soldier, wounded and exhausted, holds a spray of laurels in his bandaged left hand. The winged figure of peace supports him, taking the sword of honour, which he holds. The soldier, having received the laurels of everlasting gratitude, hands over his sword, the symbol of justice, which the winged figure takes into her keeping. Around the base, the RAF is represented by a propeller and steering wheel, the Royal Navy by ropes and an anchor, and the army by trench mortars, riffles, swords, steel helmets and gas masks. There are two lions, one either side of the central column, each weighing two tons. They are on bases 6ft high and typify the British Empire. One is in combat with the serpent of evil, while the other has crushed the serpent and is triumphant.