Birmingham War Memorial in Centenary Sq, Birmingham, West Midlands. Birmingham’s Hall of Memory was erected between 1922 to 1925 to commemorate the 12,320 Birmingham citizens who died in the Great War, with a further 35,000 who returned with a disability. The Hall, made from Portland Stone was opened by Prince Arthur of Connaught on July 4, 1925 at a cost of £60,000, which was raised entirely by public subscription. It contains a roll of honour of WWI & WWII. Designed by S.N. Cooke and W.N.Twist, it was erected by John Barnsley and Son. The four allegorical figures on the outside are described as either Navigation, Astronomy, Flight, and Peace, or Army, Navy, Air Corps, and Women’s services. They were sculptured by Albert Toft 1862 – 1949. (See Thorton-Clevelys, Chadderton, & Oldham War Memorials).