The Oldham War Memorial is outside St Mary’s Church, Church Street, in the town of Oldham in Greater Manchester ( Historically part of Lancashire) opposite the Town Hall. It is unusual in that it depicts a group of soldiers in the trenches going over the top. Mounted on a square pedestal with panelled doors leading to the books of remembrance. The memorial was unveiled by General Sir Ian Hamilton and dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester 28th April 1923. The sculptor was Albert Toft (1869 – 1949) (See Thorton-Clevleys and Chatterton War Memorials) took four years to complete the sculpture.